Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mom's Candied Steak & Porcupine Meatballs

Candied Steak

1 1/2 lbs round steak cut into 1"x3" pieces
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tbs worcestershire sauce
1 cup of water

Season your meat. I use a steak rub, you can use whatever you normally use on steak. If you don't have a normal, use salt and pepper. Brown steak pieces in approx 1 tbs of... I use olive oil, but you can use shortening or veggy oil. Mix ketchup, water, worsestershire and sugar. Pour over steak and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes. Here's the tought part for me... don't let the liquid cook away. Add water if necessary. Serve over your choice of carbs. I prefer rice, but potatoes, pasta would also work. Enjoy!

Porcupine Meatballs

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
3/4 cup uncooked rice
1/4 cup milk or water
2 tbs chopped onion
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp garlic salt
Dash of oregano

sauce
8 oz can tomatoe sauce
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce

Mix beef rice, milk, onion and seasonings. Form into 8 balls (I don't like them this big, so we make like 20 meatballs with this amount.) Fry meatballs in shortening, olive oil, whatever until brown, but not crusty. Mix sauce in bowl and pour over meatballs and cover. (I like lots of sauce, so I multiply the sauce by 3. I also really like it made with Hunts garlic, basil and oregano sauce.) Simmer for 45 minutes on low.

1 comments:

Seth & Andrea Cook said...

Thanks, Lynne! You are as wonderful as ever!